29.6% of South African developers list Microsoft Azure as their primary cloud platform, putting it in second place after AWS. Here, we’ll look at average Microsoft Azure developer salaries at the junior, mid and senior levels.
Junior Azure developer salary trends
Average Azure Developer Salaries
|Years of Experience||25th Percentile||Average||75th Percentile|
The average salary for a junior Azure developer quickly rises by 47.5% to R29 034. Their rapid salary growth continues at the 4-6 year experience mark when salaries for mid-level Azure developers increase by 40.7% to R40 855.
A junior Azure developer’s salary more than doubles by the time they’ve been on the job for over four years.
Azure developers are not alone with steep salary increases during the early stages of their careers. So why do salaries for junior developers increase so rapidly?
Developers typically change jobs more frequently during the early stages of their careers. This gives them a chance to negotiate higher market-related salaries than the inflationary increases they’d receive if they stayed at one company.
Depending on how much they’ve progressed, they might also quickly level up their skills to a mid-level developer. Companies hiring developers at these career stages are more inclined to offer what might seem a significant increase because the salary range is still not that high.
Senior Azure developer salary trends
Senior Azure developers initially see their salary growth slow down:
Azure developers with 6-10 years of experience can expect a 36.5% pay rise, giving them an average monthly salary of R55 761.
Why the slow-down? In addition to senior developers generally changing jobs less often than juniors, companies also have to start thinking more about salary increases when developer salary levels become “more expensive”.
However, Azure developers break a trend seen among other groups of South African developers with salary growth increasing after more than ten years in the profession:
Salaries for senior Azure developers with more than ten years of experience increase by 46.9% to an average of R81 912.
Keep in mind
The data in this article is taken from OfferZen’s 2022 State of the Software Developer Nation Report. In this article, ‘salary’ refers to the gross monthly salary (before tax) provided by more than 3200 survey respondents.
Average salaries are single data points and only one part of a bigger story. It’s expected that many respondents may earn significantly more or significantly less than these averages. However, we hope to map underlying trends by mapping the average salaries for different experience levels.
These averages should not be used to estimate what your actual salary will or should be.
Salaries are dependent on the industry, individual, perks and nature of work. These factors all influence the salary a company will offer to a prospective hire.
- State of South Africa’s Software Developer Nation
- Underpaid? Here’s How to Make the Most Of Your Next Salary Conversation
- How to Negotiate a Job Offer That’s More Than Just the Money
- Developer Salaries 2021: Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Why South African Junior Software Developers’ Salaries Have Decreased Since 2021
- Backend Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Java Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Front End Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Python Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- PHP Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Full Stack Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Node.js Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- React Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- TypeScript Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- C# Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Go Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Ruby Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Kotlin Developer Salary Trends in South Africa