AWS is the most-used cloud platform in South Africa and popular across industries. Here, we’ll look at average AWS developer salaries by experience and how they compare to those of second-place Azure.
Entry-level and junior AWS developer salary trends
The average entry-level AWS developer salary starts at R21 605, 9.7% higher than the average Azure developer.
AWS developers can expect their most significant salary increase after they’ve been coding for at least two years:
Junior AWS developers’ salaries increase by 51%, giving them an average monthly salary of R32 631.
By this stage of their careers, they earn 12.4% more than their Azure counterparts.
Why the significant increase at this stage of their careers? While they are still finding their feet in the early stages of their careers, developers tend to change jobs a lot more. This gives them a chance to negotiate a market-related salary higher than the inflationary increases developers can expect if they stay with one company.
Depending on their progress, they might quickly level up their skills to become mid-level developers. Companies hiring developers at these career stages are more inclined to offer what might seem a significant increase because, overall, the salary range still isn’t that high.
AWS developers with four to six years of experience see their average salaries rise by 48.7% to R48 516. The gap between them and their Azure counterparts also widens to 18.8% at this stage of their careers.
Average AWS Developer Salaries by Experience
|Years of Experience||25th Percentile||Average||75th Percentile|
Senior AWS developer salary trends
AWS developers see their salary growth slow once they reach the senior level.
Why the slow-down? In addition to senior developers generally changing jobs less often than juniors, companies also have to start thinking more carefully about salary increases when developer salary levels become “more expensive”.
That doesn’t mean there’s no growth at all.
AWS developers with six to ten years of experience can expect a 40.2% increase, giving them an average salary of R68 000. Despite the lack of salary growth, the gap between AWS and Azure is widest for developers at this career level:
AWS developers with more than six years of experience earn, on average, 22% more than Azure developers with similar experience.
Though salary growth does continue to stagnate, the average senior AWS developer’s salary still increases by an additional 26.7% to R86 128 after they’ve been coding for at least ten years.
However, the gap between AWS and Azure has narrowed to 5.2% for developers with more than ten years of experience, as Azure developers see their salaries increase by 46.9%.
Keep in mind
The data in this article is taken from OfferZen’s 2022 State of the Software Developer Nation Report. In this article, ‘salary’ refers to the gross monthly salary (before tax) provided by more than 3 200 survey respondents.
Average salaries are single data points and only one part of a bigger story. It’s expected that many respondents may earn significantly more or less than these averages. However, we hope to map underlying trends by mapping the average salaries for different experience levels.
These averages should not be used to estimate what your actual salary will or should be.
Salaries depend on the industry, individual, perks and nature of work. These factors all influence the salary a company will offer to a prospective hire. In addition, most developers are “fluent” in several languages, which will affect the final figures.
- State of South Africa’s Software Developer Nation
- Underpaid? Here’s How to Make the Most Of Your Next Salary Conversation
- How to Negotiate when Hiring Developers
- Developer Salaries 2021: Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Backend Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Java Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Front End Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Python Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- PHP Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Full Stack Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Node.js Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- React Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Azure Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- TypeScript Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- C# Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Go Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Ruby Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Kotlin Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Angular Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- ASP.NET Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Why South African Junior Software Developers’ Salaries Have Decreased Since 2021