Average junior TypeScript developer salary trends
Average TypeScript Developer Salary
|Years of Experience||25th Percentile||Average||75th Percentile|
Our 2022 State of the Software Developer Nation data shows that average salaries for developers with fewer than two years of experience have declined since 2021. Unfortunately, typeScript is no exception to this downward trend.
Average salaries for entry-level TypeScript developers start at R20 953 per month, or 9% less than they earned in 2021.
The shift to remote work is one cause behind the decline in entry-level salaries. As a result, fewer companies hire and onboard as many junior and entry-level developers. Additionally, more junior developers are entering the job market, making it harder for less experienced developers to get a foot in the door.
Fortunately, it doesn’t stay this way for long.
After two years in the profession, the average junior TypeScript developer’s salary increased by 46.5% to R30 693. They earn 1.2% more than TS devs with the same amount of experience did in 2021.
Average salaries for mid-level TypeScript developers increase by 45.1% to R44,537 once they pass the four-year mark, 7.9% higher than last year. Once they pass the four-year mark, TypeScript developers’ average salaries increase by 45.1% to R44,537. This is considered mid-level in terms of career stage, and the average salary is 7.9% higher than it was in 2021.
Why the steep increases? Developers tend to change jobs more during the early stages of their careers, giving them a chance to negotiate higher market-related salaries than the inflationary increases developers can expect if they stay with one company.
Salary ranges still aren’t that high for junior and mid-level developers, so companies may be more inclined to offer what looks like a significant increase.
Average senior TypeScript developer salary trends
Average TypeScript Developer Salaries in 2021 vs 2022
|Years of Experience||2021||2022|
After coding for at least six years, the average senior TypeScript developer’s salary increases by 40.3%.
This gives them an average monthly salary of R62 488, 10% more than TypeScript developers with this much experience made in 2021. Demand for senior developers is at an all-time high, allowing them to command higher salaries than in 2021.
Salary growth for senior TypeScript developers slows once they pass the ten-year experience mark. However, they can still look forward to a 33.3% increase giving them an average salary of R83 292.
Why the slow down? In addition to senior developers generally changing jobs less often than juniors, companies tend to be less inclined to offer significant increases on larger salaries.
Keep in mind
The data in this article is taken from OfferZen’s 2022 State of the Software Developer Nation Report. In this article, ‘salary’ refers to the gross monthly salary (before tax) provided by more than 3200 survey respondents.
Average salaries are single data points and only one part of a bigger story. It’s expected that many respondents may earn significantly more or significantly less than these averages. However, we hope to map underlying trends by mapping the average salaries for different experience levels.
These averages should not be used to estimate what your actual salary will or should be.
Salaries are dependent on the industry, individual, perks and nature of work. These factors all influence the salary a company will offer to a prospective hire. In addition, most developers are “fluent” in several languages, which will affect the final figures.
- State of South Africa’s Software Developer Nation
- Underpaid? Here’s How to Make the Most Of Your Next Salary Conversation
- How to Negotiate a Job Offer That’s More Than Just the Money
- Developer Salaries 2021: Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Why South African Junior Software Developers’ Salaries Have Decreased Since 2021
- Backend Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Java Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Front End Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Python Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- PHP Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Full Stack Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Node.js Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- React Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Azure Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- C# Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Go Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Ruby Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Kotlin Developer Salary Trends in South Africa