Our 2023 State of the Software Developer Nation data shows that frontend developers are still the lowest-earning group behind backend and full stack developers. Here’s an overview of average frontend developer salaries at each stage of their careers in comparison to their backend and full stack counterparts.
Average junior frontend developer salary
Entry-level frontend developers’ salaries have increased by 20.6% (R3 477) from 2022’s average. This gives them an average starting salary of R20 387. That’s 25.1% (R6 838) less than backend developers, and 8% (R1 784) less than full stack developers.
Once they’ve been coding for at least two years, they can expect a 33.3% (R6 795) increase, bringing their income to R27 182. That’s 5.6% (R1 442) more than they earned in 2022. At this stage of their careers, backend developers earn 23.2% (R8 226) more, while full stack developers earn 14.4% (R4 585) more.
Mid-level frontend developers with four to six years of experience can look forward to a 43.3% (R11 760) increase. This gives them an average monthly salary of R38 942, 23.3% (R11 842) and 15.1% (R6 923) less than their backend and frontend counterparts, respectively.
Average Frontend Developer Salaries by Experience
|Years of Experience||25th Percentile||Average||75th Percentile|
Average Salary by Years Experience, showing 25th and 75th percentiles
Average senior frontend developer salary trends
Frontend developers with at least six years of experience can expect the most significant increase of their careers with a massive 52.2% (R20 346). This puts the average senior frontend developer salary at R59 288 per month – 15.9% (R8 152) ahead of 2022’s average.
As a result of this significant increase, frontend developers now only trail behind backend by 15.1% (R10 521) and full stack by 3.5% (R8 152)
Salary growth for senior frontend developers starts to slow once they’ve been in the profession for at least a decade. With at least ten years of experience, they see their salaries rise by 20.1% (R11 926). This gives them an average salary of R71 214. The gap between themselves and their backend counterparts widens to 21.8% (R19 829). They also earn 13.1% (R10 729) less than full stack developers with comparable experience.
Average Frontend Developer Salaries in 2023 vs 2022
|Years of Experience||2023||2022|
Keep in mind
The data in this article is taken from OfferZen’s 2023 State of the Software Developer Nation Report. In this article, ‘salary’ refers to the gross monthly salary (before tax) provided by more than 4500 survey respondents.
Average salaries are single data points and only one part of a bigger story. It’s expected that many respondents may earn significantly more or significantly less than these averages. However, by mapping the average salaries for different experience levels, we hope to map underlying trends.
That said, these averages should not be used to estimate what your actual salary will or should be.
Salaries are dependent on the industry, individual, perks and nature of work. These factors all influence the salary a company will offer to a prospective hire. In addition, most developers are “fluent” in several languages, which will affect the final figures.
- The Earning Potential of South Africa’s Most Desired Backend Languages 2021
- Developer Salaries Across Tech Hubs in South Africa and Europe 2021
- Underpaid? Here’s How to Make the Most Of Your Next Salary Conversation
- How to Negotiate a Job Offer That’s More Than Just the Money
- State of South Africa’s Software Developer Nation
- Backend Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Java Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Python Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- PHP Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Full Stack Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Node.js Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- React Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Azure Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- C# Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- TypeScript Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Go Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Ruby Developer Salary Trends in South Africa
- Kotlin Developer Salary Trends in South Africa