What we do
Root is a modern take on banking, providing developers with a fully programmable bank account and cards. Our mission is to create a foundation for developers to create scalable FinTech products on. Root has been covered in the press a few times and featured #1 on Product Hunt and Hacker News.
Our platform is being built from the ground up, allowing us to take tech-first approaches to legacy banking issues - from full digital KYC and Authy integrations to interesting new engineering solutions like RootCode and Sponsored Payments.
We’re always looking for passionate and driven people to join our mission. Joining Root means you’ll be frequently shipping code that affects users directly.
Root is a funded startup, part of the FireID family of companies (SnapScan, Luno, OfferZen, JourneyApps).
Our Engineering Processes
Our core systems are built on NodeJS (using ReasonML) with our front-end systems built with React & Redux. Our systems are running on a Kubernetes-based microservice architecture. We use an adapted version of kanban (on Waffle.io) for managing our development process so that we can focus on writing great code and building a cool product.
As a company we also support and maintain open-source code heavily, most notably building out the prominent NodeJs actor library, Nact.
Our Hiring Process
We have a simple hiring process here at Root, designed to validate technical competence, and more importantly, to make sure it's a great culture fit going both ways. Our process is transparent and open to feedback.
1) First, we have a 30min call to get in touch and chat a bit about yourself, the company, and the role within.
2) This is followed by a technical take-home project to complete over the weekend. We know people get bombarded with these, so we try to keep it at 2 hours.
3) The last step is a (paid) simulation day. Here we work through working a "normal" day, where you get to build something real, work with and have lunch with the team. After this day, we're able to make up our minds.
4) To finish it off, we'll phone your references to make sure we're not missing out on anything serious and we'll make sure our credit/criminal checks are sorted (we are a financial services company, so this step is required).
5) Finally, we'll extend an offer - and the awesome journey begins! :)