Scenarios are stories that could happen and surprise us. They don’t predict what will happen, but challenge our assumptions. They ask what we will do if the unexpected happens. Therefore, scenarios prepare us for the unthinkable…
The DTN has been a leading specialist consultancy in scenario thinking since 1996. We provide scenario development, transformation processes, innovative learning and early warning systems to support strategic decision-making. Our clients are global companies and governments seeking new insights, innovation, and strategic breakthroughs. We facilitate scenario development on a variety of topics and for diverse time-horizons: Among our recent projects: The Future of Learning 2015+, The Future of ICT in Financial Services 2020+, The Future of Digital Civilization 2030+.
The DTN has helped clients anticipate:
• a major global financial crisis (anticipated in a set of workshops in early 2006)
• a surge in oil prices to $70+ when oil was selling at $23 (2003)
• the failure of WAP and the rise of WiFi, the success of SMS and of Skype (2000/1)
• the impact of terrorism on the airline industry nine months before 9/11 (2000)
• delays in 3G telephony deployment, the emergence of TV on the web, YouTube (2002/3)
• the rise of the Internet
• the recession following the dot.com crash, etc.
The DTN is headquartered in Amsterdam, Oslo, London and San Francisco and works with a network of partners and affiliates in Shanghai and Cape Town.