We believe it’s time to shatter the perception that no good tech comes from Africa. That’s why BNRY is working to be the first world-renowned agency born in Africa.
Combining technology and creative thinking, we design digital solutions that are catalysts for business growth. It is our mission to deliver real leads, sales and engagement, as well as quality code and creative. Today, our dev team builds custom-designed software, device-agnostic websites, intuitive interfaces, apps that consumers actually use, integrated business systems and 3D body-scan health stations. We look forward to seeing what they’re up to next.
BNRY specialises in technology, design, content and strategy. Now a team of 30 people, we opened studios in Johannesburg and Cape Town in 2009.
Since then, BNRY has completed projects for local and international companies in the consumer goods, insurance, finance, travel and tourism, telecommunications, sports and NGO sectors.
How tech fits into our business
BNRY is not an advertising or marketing agency with some sad devs in a basement. And, ‘technology’ is not a recent addition to our service offering.
In 1986, BNRY’s MD wrote his first line of code on a Commodore 64. BNRY was one of the first local agencies to offer clients sites built with Ruby, not Wordpress and PHP. Our ‘Xtreme 19’ project recreated online the experience of teeing off at the world’s most extreme golf hole, prevailing weather conditions included. We built one of the first Twitter-activated machines, and we have digitised an analogue HIV test. We know tech.
We also know that end-users are the reason we exist. We strive for close working relationships between our development and design teams because we’ve learnt that user experience is best supported that way.
You’re a BNRY dev if…
- You know and love tech like we do
- You’re interested in new ways of working, like DevOps and Extreme Programming
- You take initiative and don’t wait to be told what to do at the start of each day
- You take pride in the elegance of your code, and you are accountable for its quality
- You don’t want a job, you want a career
- You want more than writing the same code for the same platform all day, every day
- You have a range of dev skills, and can think outside the confines of a single language
- You strive for expertise in the languages you know by internalising and implementing best practice
- You share your experience and experiments with your colleagues
- You are turned on by a business or creative problem needs a tech solution
- You will solve that problem until it begs for mercy
- You believe in process, not red tape
- You’re agile and adaptable
- You want someone to think of you as a mentor
- You will never stop learning
- You value mutually-respectful relationships with your colleagues
- You loathe stagnation
- You identify emerging languages, software and approaches to development, and you investigate whether they will make you a better dev
Our coding processes
As BNRY evolves, so does our dev process. We embrace that evolution because we can always work smarter. Currently, we’re using a mix of Scrum, Agile and KanBan methodologies overseen by a dedicated, passionate, and frankly awesome project manager.
Come work with us
Our hiring process starts with a meet-and-greet interview, ideally in person, to gauge mutual attraction. The next step is a practical test that we ask candidates to complete in their own time and return by a given deadline. Finally, we set up a problem-solving session with candidates and their potential colleagues to assess communication ability, strategic thinking, and collaborative spark. This gives all of us a chance to see how we work together.