Babylonstoren is one of the oldest Cape Dutch farms. It has a fruit and vegetable garden of beauty and diversity, unique accommodation, fine food and wine, and a sense of wellbeing. It is one of the most innovative wine farms and tourist destinations in South Africa and continues to grow by adding new world-class offerings.
Why would you want to work in tech at Babylonstoren?
We are not just your ordinary wine estate… we are a fast growing and ever-expanding business with opportunities reaching far beyond South African borders. With everything else we have to offer, we are now extremely focused on increasing our digital footprint especially through E-Commerce. We specialise in exclusive luxury lifestyle products, and want to give any person, anywhere in the world, the opportunity to get a taste of Babylonstoren by selling our products online. We strive to offer an unforgettable and personalised user experience with exceptional customer service.
Our mission is to:
- expand the current E-Commerce capability and build a world-class system that allows us to bring our products to anyone in the world
- use cutting edge technology to create re-usable and scalable platforms for other international properties part of our group
- grow into one of the top online stores for our wine, luxury lifestyle products and special gifts.
- use automation and intelligent technology to create solutions for other departments on the farm (wine, tourism,
Team and culture
We’re a young, dynamic and very ambitious team. We are looking for extra-ordinary individuals who can work with ambiguity, grow with us and help build sustainable and effective software solutions. We function as a start-up and if you like to solve problems and come up with creative and innovative solutions, this a really great opportunity for you to grow and evolve with the team, both technically and strategically.
The culture on the farm is very Afrikaans, so you need to be able to communicate effectively in Afrikaans in order to flourish.
What we expect from new recruits
- Honesty, integrity and diligence
- A strong urge to create and build things
- A curiosity to keep up to date with the latest frameworks and tools
- To recognise code as a craft
- To take pride in your work and get things done (not 98% done)
- Loads of grit
- Proactive problem solver
- Learn fast!
We will get in touch via email / telephonically to setup an interview with the E-commerce manager and at least one of our developers.
If that goes well we do both a development exercise and a psychometric test. The primary purpose of the development exercise is to review your coding style and the psychometric test will really help us to determine whether or not you’ll be a good fit in the long term.