We’re creating documentaries to tell the tech stories that inspire people to keep creating and learning, and ultimately, unlock more potential in both themselves and software. Check out the YouTube Channel!
Here, Nuno Maduro talks about the story behind the creation of Pest PHP, how the name came about and the impact open-source has had on his career.
Well, during my open source career, I actually have built some quite of big projects. One of them is Collision and the other one is PHP Insights. Of course, there’s all these contributions to the Laravel framework, but particularly Pest PHP, is the one that got more traction.
And on the flight back. From us to two friends, actually, what happened was I build a POC of that idea that I had with Freek and after building the POC, something that happened was I was using that POC in all my projects.
And eventually that just come up to me to say, “OK, if I’m using this thing all the time, maybe other people will see the value on this POC”. So I build the website, I build the entire project from scratch, and I publish it on GitHub and Twitter and got so many traction.
It was a pretty good day for me. So, yeah, PEST PHP is now the second most PHP testing framework out there, according to JetBrains. And all of this happened because I have started with open-source. So again, if it wasn’t for the small, the small, the documentation commit that I have done five years ago, I wouldn’t be even near the position I am today with open-source, with Laravel, with my side projects. Everything started with that single first commit to documentation.
- Laravel Origins: The Documentary by OfferZen
- Why OfferZen is Making Documentaries about Open-source tech
- Taylor Otwell Tells the Story behind Laravel Forge
- Taylor Otwell on how he Decides what PRs to Merge into Laravel
- Jeffrey Way Tells the Story of Laracasts
- The Story of Tailwind CSS feat. Adam Wathan
- Larabelles and Inclusivity in the Laravel community
- PHP Isn’t Dead ft. Jeffrey Way, Erika Heidi and others