WHO ARE WE?
We are first and foremost a financial services company and as developers, we work on financial systems. However, that does not mean that we are boring or that we don’t have some very intelligent and experienced people working in our development teams. Quite the opposite actually.
WHAT DO WE DO?
At Capfin, we embrace an agile approach to development. We have seven self-organising Scrum teams that work in two week sprints
We collaborate, we innovate, we ask questions, we think of better ways to do things, we do the occasional quiz to broaden our horizons, we take pride in what we do, we drink coffee, we display a sense of humour and we allow each other to make mistakes and learn from it. Above all, we trust each other and we hold one another accountable for what we want to achieve as a team. Our team is big enough so that there are guys and girls you can learn from and it also means that there is room for you to grow. However, we are also small enough so that the guy (or girl) who puts up his/her hand, gets noticed.
WHAT TECH DO WE USE?
Even though we are technically a “Microsoft Shop”, our development environment contains a diverse range of technologies:
- Database: SQL Server 2012 / 2014 / 2016
- Middle layer: C# (4.5 and later)
- Presentation layer: ASP.NET MVC / HTML5 / jQuery / PHP / Some WinForms
- Message queues: RabbitMQ
- Telephony: Asterisk
- Work assignment: Team Foundation Server 2017
- Build Server (Continuous Integration): Team Foundation Server 2017
- IDE: Visual Studio 2017
- Source Control: TFVC
- Cloud: AWS
We generally look for full-stack developers who are tech agnostic and would prefer to use the right tool for the job.
Although we don’t do mobile application development yet, we put extreme value in an innovative mind-set and as a result have been playing around with Bootstrap and Apache Cordova.
We honestly believe that there is more to development than just coding. As a result, we expect our developers to be collaborative and be involved in the entire development life cycle: they should know how to create a unit test, how to go about analysing code in order to reduce technical debt or how to schedule an automated build.
WHAT DOES OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS ENTAIL?
We strive to make the interview process as painless as possible for any prospective employee. We understand that your time is as important as ours. However, this does not mean that we are not thorough or that we will not stretch your thinking ability during the process.
The typical interview process for a developer is as follows:
- Face to face interview with Dev Manager, Snr Scrum Master, Lead Developer and HR Manager (1 hour). The last 30 minutes of this session is spent asking technical questions.
- Should there be any doubts after the first interview, we may ask you to complete a coding assignment that you can do at your own time. You will have a week to complete the assignment.
- Psychometric tests – This is done at our offices or online and will be scheduled once you have passed the first interview.
Our interview process is a win-win scenario for both parties involved as it also allows you the opportunity to decide whether or not Capfin is the right place for you. The psychometric test results are given back to you, which you can use to identify potential developmental areas.