When scaling your team, finding the right Python developer can be a challenge. A poor hiring decision can lead to setbacks, low-quality code, and wasted time. To ensure the right developers are applying for your role, we unpack what you need to include in a Python developer job description and the most important Python job requirements.
Python developer job description
A well-crafted Python developer job description is a key first step to ensure that the right people are applying for the role. Your job description should include the following information:
- The position name
- Your company’s name
- The roles’ key responsibilities
- Minimum experience and qualifications for the position, and
- Key benefits you’re offering as part of your compensation package
When creating a job description, setting up a role scorecard can help you identify the essential skills and responsibilities for the position.
Python developer roles and responsibilities
Before deciding on the specific responsibilities of a Python developer, it is important to understand the core skills to look out for when looking for top Python developers:
- Python developers need to be familiar with the core principles of object-oriented programming languages, which includes Python. They’ll also need experience with Python frameworks and libraries such as Django, Flask, Pandas and NumPy.
- Python is also a popular language for data analysis and visualisations, so experience with SQL and NoSQL databases and database management systems such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB is an advantage.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the most common Python developer roles and responsibilities:
- Write, test, and maintain Python code for applications and projects, such as developing new features, debugging and optimizing existing code, and following best coding practices.
- Work closely with other teams, including other developers, designers, and project managers.
- Ensure that code is clean, well-organised, and well-documented.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest Python trends, libraries, and best practices.
- Interact with various types of databases, both relational (e.g., PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (e.g., MongoDB), and handling data storage and retrieval.
- Contribute to the design and architecture of software projects, helping to define the structure and components of applications.
- Ensure software security by implementing best practices and security measures to protect data and user information.
- Deploy and maintain applications, including containerisation using tools like Docker and orchestration with platforms like Kubernetes.
- Hire Python developers from South Africa and beyond
- Everything you need to know about hiring Python developers on OfferZen
- Everything you need to know about hiring Java developers on OfferZen
- Hire Java developers from South Africa and beyond
- Python developer interview questions