When scaling your team, finding the right Java developer can be challenging, especially at higher seniority levels. A poor hiring decision can lead to setbacks, low-quality code, and wasted time. Here we unpack everything they want from their next job.
What skills does a Java developer need?
Java is the fifth most widely used programming language in South Africa. That means there are plenty of great Java developers available for your team. _Here are the core skills to look out for when looking for top Java developers:
- Strong understanding of the Java programming language and its ecosystem.
- Object-oriented programming, data structures and algorithms.
- Popular Java web frameworks such as Spring Boot, Hibernate, and JSF.
- Java development tools such as Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, and Apache Maven.
- Relational databases, including MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of version control, using Git and Bitbucket.
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies.
- The Java SE (Standard Edition) platform.
- Developing and deploying applications in a cloud-based environment like AWS, Azure, or GCP.
Java developers on OfferZen typically have at least 4-6 years of experience, and 44% of them are at the senior level.