What is it, you ask?
EduOne was once three noobs with Finance degrees trying to build a Wordpress website. The aim: reduce the informational deficiency that exists for high school leavers when considering their tertiary and career prospects.
The company has since come a long way from badly made plugins and shortcodes (or shortcakes, whichever pleases you most), and has set its sights on the following primary issues in the student space:
• The lack of practical, free and easily accessible information on careers, courses and 'how to adult' remains something we strive to eliminate. The move toward a more personal, data driven, and app-based solution is on the cards. See www.educonnect.co.za & www.edumatch.co.za
• The access and availability of educational funding opportunities is something we will solve. Those that deserve it should have the opportunity to find a bursary, scholarship or student loan. Further innovations in this space will allow us to change the very instruments of tertiary funding. See www.edufunding.co.za
• The red tape around centralising the location for the application to all tertiary institutions will be brought down with a solution that reduces admin costs for institutions and lowers the cost per application for students.
• Other industries, products and issues we are after include, but are not limited to, the health professionals space, the provision of goods for students, the tutoring & mentoring space, e-learning, soft skills development, and the recruiting & jobs space.
And why on earth would you want to work here?
Good question. It's not like changing the educational landscape of the country (and then the world) is very interesting. Nor is working with a bunch of enthusiastic, purpose-driven individuals who want to disrupt anything and everything. So here's some other reasons why you might want to work here:
• You will be challenged. This means late hours and hard work, but rewarding.
• You will learn. From colleagues, short courses or our Thursday workshops, you will always take something home.
• You will play ping pong.
A bit about our culture:
• We acknowledge that there is no instruction book, and it’s ours to write. We figure it out, get it done, and iterate.
• We look after one another. It's simple. Friendships, lunches and working hand in hand is all part of that.
• We believe that the world’s big effing problems (BFPs) will never be solved by one person, but rather by the collective. We believe working together on shared goals will help us move faster, but keep on track.
• At every single turn, if there is an opportunity to turn a teammate into a hero, we take it with everything we've got. We don’t expect thanks, but if someone makes a hero out of us, we never forget it.
FYI, recently acquired by Fundi (https://www.fundi.co.za/) (forgive the site, we haven't had a chance to get our hands on it yet!)