We have big ideas about how things ought to work. We believe smart business is the engine of progress. We worship enterprise, talent & technology. We aren’t venture capitalists, we are adventurous entrepreneurs.
There are 15 companies within Big Ideas Group and our Cape Town office is currently shared by developers working across 3 of these:
- Samewave: who are developing business management software to revolutionise how people & teams work together.
- Littlebird: hand-picked products and events for families in London
- Dashly: is a smarter comparison engine for UK mortgages
As such there's a diverse group of highly talented people who always enjoy swapping advice and expertise. We have a relaxed and friendly work environment. We place a strong emphasis on staff welfare and autonomy. We don't like to micro manage or monitor, instead we prefer to collectively set and agree our goals, then work together to achieve them with each team member taking responsibility for getting their stuff done. Each company maintains a start-up mentality so we do have deadlines and need to work hard to achieve them, although we always try to keep any pressure healthy. Our approach and workflow is based on agile development, Scrum, test-driven development, and continuous integration concepts.
We have a fairly straightforward hiring process:
1) 1st Interview After an initial introductory phone call, this interview is generally face-to-face at our offices in Cape Town. It's a simple discussion format focused on work experience, personality, culture and general suitability for the role and usually takes about an hour.
2) 2nd interview If successful, we progress to a 2nd interview. This interview is face-to-face at our offices in Cape Town and may include a video conference with some of the team in London. The first 30 minutes is a chance to meet the whole team with a casual roundtable discussion format focused on technical knowledge, understanding and experience. The remaining 60 minutes is then a technical pairing session with a lead developer to work through an example code problem. Normally 1.5-2 hours long.
We aim to complete this process as quickly as possible, ideally within 2-3 days.